Welcome to the Rutgers University French Department's Placement Test. Please do your best on this test without reference to any dictionaries or French textbook. Remember that the purpose of the test is to evaluate your current skills in French so that we can find the most appropriate course for your continued study. You will not receive credit from this test. Once you place into a course, you may not take a lower course for credit. Note: you can only take this placement test once.
Please read the following about the WebCAPE Placement Test:
- In your internet browser, go to: https://webcape.org/nwcregister.php?acct=rutgers
- Enter password: knights (all lowercase)
- Read introduction from WebCAPE about the test. Click Begin.
- Complete all of the fields in the student survey. It is important to have as much information as possible in case there is a problem matching your test score with your name. Please enter your RUID number carefully. This is the number that you received upon applying to Rutgers.
- When you have entered all of the requested information, click on "Continue". The first screen is a practice item. After that, you will begin the test.
- Do NOT use your browser's BACK button during the exam or it will be interrupted and you will have to re-register to continue.
- Your placement score will be displayed at the end of the exam. Be sure to click on "Finished" to send a copy of this information to Rutgers. You may want to print out the page for your records.
- If you receive an error indicating "too many connections," please refresh the page and continue working. If necessary, you can log into the exam again and follow the directions near the button labeled 'Resume' on the identity/survey page.
- Please note: your placement score will be displayed on the screen at the end of the exam. Your placement level will also be available in enrollment pathway and degree navigator approximately one week after taking the exam.
- You may also want to seek an advisor’s recommendation to help you choose the appropriate course depending on your level. Therefore, we recommend that you take the exam well in advance of registration.