Welcome to the Rutgers University Department of French Placement Test. Please do your best on this test without reference to any dictionaries or French textbook. Remember that the purpose of the test is to evaluate your current skills in French so that we can find the most appropriate course for your continued study. You will not receive credit from this test. Once you place into a course, you may not take a lower course for credit. Note: You can only take this placement test once. We recommend that you take the exam well in advance of registration. To take the French Placement Exam, you will need a stable internet connection and quiet environment for 15-30 minutes. Your placement score will be displayed at the end of the exam.
Please follow the directions below to take the Placement Test:
- In your internet browser, go to: WebCAPE
- Complete all the fields to register and create an account to gain access to the exam.
- Proceed to sign-in with your username and password to be brought to the Dashboard screen.
- On the Dashboard screen, you can make changes to your information by selecting "settings" on the top right profile icon or proceed to "TAKE TEST".
- Click on "Pre-Test Survey" and answer the questions of the survey and click "Submit".
- Click on "Begin Test" to take the exam.
- Once you complete the exam, you will receive a message confirming that you are done.
- Click on "See Score Report" to view your placement.
- Click on your profile icon to Logout.
- Please email the Department of French Undergraduate Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need help selecting the appropriate course(s).