1) All M.A. candidates are required to read the entire M.A. reading list and to answer essay questions on each period.
2) The appended M.A. theory list is required only of students who have not taken "Introduction to Theory," and who are therefore taking the M.A. Theory exam.
1) All Ph.D. candidates are required to have read the entire M.A. reading list (all centuries).
2) All candidates must also read the entire Ph.D. reading list in their two periods of specialization (subjects one and two on the Ph.D. qualifying exam).
3) The reading list for the third area on the Ph.D. exam (Special topic) is drawn up by the individual student in consultation with the Mentorship committee appointed by the Graduate Program Committee.
4a) The appended Ph.D. Theory reading list is required only of any Ph.D. candidate selecting theoryas the adjunct specialization (subject 4 on the Ph.D. exam).
4b) Ph.D. students electing a genre as their adjunct specialization (subject 4 on the Ph.D. exam) are required to read listings in that genre for all centuries plus any readings added by the Graduate Program Committee.